Carers Information

Tanyfron recognises that carers contribute to a significant saving to the NHS by looking after relatives, neighbours or friends who might otherwise have to go into long term care. Young carers may be particularly vulnerable due to their inexperience and lack of life-skills. This practice is committed to providing appropriate support and consideration to its patients who are carers.

As a carer, you are entitled to a Carers Assessment by Social Services, to discuss the help that you and the person you care for, might need.

Social Services: 01545 574 000


Services that you could get help with include:

  • Help with household tasks
  • Help with caring tasks during the day and night
  • Respite Care
  • Activities for the "cared-for" person
  • Benefits advice
  • Other useful services:
  • District Nurse
  • Chiropodist
  • Optician
  • Community Dentist
  • Health Visitor
  • MacMillan Nurse

Once the carer has been identified, the surgery will offer a referral to Social Services  Tel: 01545 574 000 for a "Carer Assessment" as per National Strategy for Carers.

Carers' needs

Are you a Carer?

Do you care for someone?

Ever feel trapped, isolated or unsupported?

Many people do not consider themselves as carers and carry out this work unaware of help which they may be entitled to. 

If you are a carer please let us know so that we can discuss local advice and support which may be available to you.

Who is a Carer?

Carers provide unpaid care by looking after an ill, frail or disabled family member, friend or partner. A Young Carer is aged between 8 and 18.

What is a Carer’s assessment?

A Carer’s assessment is your opportunity to tell Social Services about the things that could make caring easier for you. It is an assessment of your needs, not those of the person you are caring for. Every carer is entitled to an assessment. When you register with us, as a carer the practice will offer you the chance of a referral. The Contact Centre can be contacted on 01545 574000.

The practice holds a comprehensive list of patients who are carers who agree to be registered. This enables the practice to provide information on local and national support and help. We can also arrange a referral to Social Services for a carers assessment and other voluntary service agencies if required.

At Tanyfron we aim to raise the awareness of the needs of carers and to support them with practical help and information on local and national support and help. We know that carers often have limited time to look after their own health needs and we encourage carers to make an appointment with the practice nurse for a health check.

If we are able to recognise you as a carer we can ensure that you receive the appropriate consideration and support. We will aim to offer a flexible approach to consultations and to obtaining prescriptions if leaving the dependant person is difficult.

How can you register as a carer?

Registration forms are available in the surgery or speak to any staff member. Forms are also available from other voluntary organisations and on the County Councils website.

Eira Henson is our Practice Carers Co-ordinator. You can ask to speak to her by telephone only.

How to find out more information

The British Red Cross Ceredigion Carers Support Service

The service acts as a focal point for carers to access appropriate advice, support and relevant information.

  • Our Support Workers cover the north and south of Ceredigion offering one to one meetings and telephone support to carers.
  • We provide a programme of events which includes training and leisure opportunities.
  • Monthly support groups are held in the north and south of the county.
  • An events programme and newsletter is produced quarterly.
  • The service promotes carers’ rights, training opportunities, and information on employment and health.

The service also provides help and support to Young Adult Carers (YACS) who are between 18 and 25 and caring for a family member who has a disability, serious illness, mental health issues, or drug/alcohol related issues.

You can contact the service on 01239 615945 for more information.

The British Red Cross Young Carers Service supports Young Carers aged between 8 and 18.  The service can:

  • Provide support
  • Someone to talk to who will listen
  • Provide you with information for leisure activities
  • Speak to someone on your behalf

Call 01545 572649 for more information.

Crossroads Mid & West Wales – Caring for Carers provides short breaks for Carers throughout Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Powys and can also point you in the right direction to get other help that you might need. 01970 627966

The Carers Emergency Card scheme is another way a carer can plan for emergencies.  This is now available from Social Services, call the Contact centre on 01545 573000.

Some useful websites:

Carers Wales is an organisation working for a better deal for Carers in Wales. They have a web site with useful details of financial and practical help and events.

ACE National Action for Carers and Employment is working to support the inclusion of carers in training and work.

Crossroads is a voluntary organisation that can provide respite care when you need a break. Local contact details are available on their web site or from surgery.

CareAware is a helpful website for advice about funding care for an older person.

Ceredigion_County_Council The health and social care section has comprehensive information for carers locally. The interesting Carers newsletter, JIGSAW, can be downloaded from this site.

The Princess Royal trust for Carers - the largest provider of comprehensive carers support in the UK. The interactive website has very useful information and a discussion board for carers.

NHS WalesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website